Inspired by the National Breast Cancer Coalition’s (NBCC) Breast Cancer Deadline campaign to know how to end breast cancer by January 2020, the Wisconsin Breast Cancer Research and Advocacy Symposia, Workshop and Lecture Series was launched in Wisconsin in 2012. Driven by breast cancer advocates, these events are a collaborative effort of community leaders, breast cancer advocates and survivors, healthcare professionals, researchers and organizations in Wisconsin
Most of our programs focus on two broad areas that will help us reach our goal of ending breast cancer:
The prevention of primary breast cancer and
The prevention of metastasis
To date, these educational events have been held in Milwaukee and are open to all interested individuals. Members of the general public are encouraged to attend.
Our events to date include:
- “A Conversation to End Breast Cancer And What It Will Take”, 2012
- “Innovation and Action to End Breast Cancer”, 2014”
Our symposia feature national and local experts presenting cutting edge breast cancer research and involve multiple participating organizations in WI.
Wisconsin Breast Cancer Research and Advocacy BOOT CAMP, launched in 2015
Inspired by NBCC’s renown Project LEAD, this one day educational program was conceived and developed by breast cancer advocates and is taught by the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) faculty in collaboration with Wisconsin Breast Cancer Coalition (WBCC). The program is taught in a classroom setting at MCW and includes assigned readings and small group discussions.
Fall 2015 Workshop and Lecture Series
- A tour of a working breast cancer laboratory at the Medical College of Wisconsin
- Presentation: Breast Cancer and the Environment: Reducing Her Risk Now” sponsored by WBCC
- A workshop ”The Power of Personal Stories to Influence Policy Makers” presented in partnership with UW-Milwaukee College of Nursing, WBCC, Wisconsin Center for Health Equity and Sigma Theta Tau International, Eta NU Chapte
Spring 2016 Breast Cancer Research, Education and Advocacy Opportunities
- WBCC State Advocacy Day, Madison, WI
- NBCC Advocate Leadership Summit, Washington, DC
- NBCC Project LEAD Institute, a five day education program on the science of breast cancer
- National Action Network (NAN) for research updates and advocacy opportunities
Fall 2016 Upcoming Event: Wisconsin Breast Cancer Research and Advocacy BOOT CAMP 2016
Special features of events:
- Cutting edge topics on the science of breast cancer and important breast cancer issues
- Innovative educational programs that bring researchers and healthcare professionals together with breast cancer survivors, advocates and members of the general public
- Attendee participation and engagement on multiple levels
Additional educational opportunities held within our communities that focus on or include topics related to our two broad focus areas may be made available to our network members. Network members receive an email announcements regarding these events and opportunities. Members were invited to the First Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Research Symposium Review held in Milwaukee, January 30, 2016.
Join our network:
Interested individuals are invited to become a member of our network, at no cost or obligation, to receive notification of events, updates and opportunities to become engaged on the local and national levels. Most of our events are free unless otherwise noted.